Tenants’ safety instructions
On this page we have gathered common safety instructions for our tenants. We hope you will read these instructions carefully through when moving in to Soihtu apartment. See also the emergency plans and the general housing rules below.
As a tenant you can effect on the general fire safety with your own choices. Please consider at least these following instructions:
- Test the smoke detector in your apartment regurlarly and change the batteries if needed.
- Get some basic fire extinguishing equipment in your apartment, such as a fire blanket and / or a hand fire extinguisher.
- Make sure, that you don’t have too much furniture in your apartment. Excessive furniture in the apartment is a significant fire safety risk.
- Do not store any items in the hallways or stairwells of the buildings.
- Carefully read the emergency plan for your own building in advance. This way you can be aware of the rescue routes as well as the gathering place if something happens.
- Please also ensure that the rescue personnel have access to the buildings – do not park the car in front of the residential buildings or near the emergency exits.
In an emergency
In urgent emergency, call 112.
- Make the call by yourself, if you can.
- Explain shortly, what has happened.
- Tell specific address and city.
- Answer the questions you are asked.
- Follow the instructions you are given.
- Don’t hang up before you get permission to do so.
In case of fire
If you’re own apartment is on fire
- Exit and close the doors behind you when you leave the apartment. You must be able to leave the burning room quickly – no later than 2-3 minutes after the fire is detected.
- If necessary, help other people to leave the apartment.
- If possible, you can try to extinguish the fire with a fire blanket or a hand fire extinguisher – but do not endanger your own safety or the safety of others.
- Crawl if needed, there is least smoke and heat at the floor boundary.
- When you leave the apartment, use the stairs. Elevators might not work.
- Call 112 from a safe place and guide the way to the fire department.
If you’re neighbour’s apartment or the stairwell is on fire
- Stay in your own apartment and keep the door closed – smoke is life threatening. Never go into a smoky stairwell!
- Call 112 and follow the instructions you are given.
- Seal the door f.ex. with a damp towel and wait for the fire department on the balcony or by an open window. Get the rescuers’ attention by shouting or waving your hands.
- In an apartment building, each apartment forms its own fire department, which prevents the spread of fire and harmful gases from one fire department to another.
In case of water damage
- In case of water damage, it is important to act promptly. If there is water on the floor, limit the damage and prevent further damage.
- If the dishwasher leaks, the machine must be switched off immediately and the water tap as well. Often the leak is due to a failed connection to the dishwasher or a broken water hose.
- Call the facility service’s 24/7 phone number immediately you have noticed a leak in your apartment: +358 10 524 8315
- Filters or faucets as well as sink and floor drains should be cleaned from time to time to prevent blockages. Cleaning is possible by pouring sewer opening liquid into the sewers every now and then.
- Property maintenance and the plumber will check the damage and take the necessary maintenance measures.
- If your furniture is damaged, contact the insurance company yourself. In Soihtu apartment, members of the Student Union JYY are covered with home insurance provided by the Student Union.
If you experience a threatening situation in your home or in the immediate vicinity of your home, follow the instructions below. In less severe cases, please follow the general guidelines for disturbances.
- When the disturbance is serious (e.g. threat of violence, substances) turn to the police right away so that they can calm the situation quickly. The emergency number for the police is 112.
- If you do not experience an immediate threat, you can contact the security guard, who can calm down the situation. Security guard can be contacted via Soihtu Facility Services 24/7: +358 10 524 8315.
- After calling the police, please notify Soihtu Facility Services about a serious disturbance that required a visit of the police. Please note that the police does not inform the landlord of any of their visits.
Outage in Soihtu’s broadband network on Tuesday, August 23 – Applies to all Soihtu’s housing locations
The use of Soihtu's Broadband Network, technically part of the University of Jyväskylä's Student Network, will be interrupted due to urgent maintenance work on the core network on Tuesday, August 23, 2022. The outage is expected to last approximately one hour between 17:00 and 18:00.
In this month’s Tenant’s Info Letter, we’ll talk about for example upcoming Kortepohja Festival and electricity production in Soihtu's housing locations.
Kortepohja Festival is coming again! Traditional communal event is a perfect way to kick off upcoming autumn and new academic year. Program: 4 - 6 PM: Alpacas, Bouncy house, yard games, food & community art. 6 - 10.30 PM Live music at...