If you want, you can sublease a part of your apartment for someone else to use. For example, if you live in a two-room apartment, you can rent the other room for someone else. The sublease agreement is done between the main tenant and the subtenant, and the landlord (JYY, Soihtu) is not involved.
Thus, subletting an apartment means that the main tenant and the subtenant live in the same apartment. The sublease may be for a fixed term or indefinitely.
If you are subleasing your apartment, please notify our customer service in writing. Fill in the form of subletting your apartment and make a written lease agreement with your subtenant. Submit both the sublease form and a copy of the sublease to our customer service before the subtenancy begins (no later than 7 days prior the start date). Without this information, we will not be able to for instance open the apartment’s door for them if they forget or lose their key.
- You must always notify the landlord of the subleasing so that the subtenant can for instance order the door to be opened if necessary.
- The sublease can be done for a fixed term or indefinitely.
- According to the law, you cannot have a subtenant in a studio apartment.
- You can charge the subtenant maximum the same amount of rent that you pay to the landlord.
- The subtenant will receive their own ID for the booking service from the sercive point of Soihtu Housing. He/she can book laundry turns or common areas for their own use. Subtenants cannot make any paid reservations (parking spaces, sauna turns). You can book a parking space and/or a sauna turn on behalf of your subtenant, if you so agree (this payment will be recorded in your rental information and you can instruct the subtenant to pay the fee(s) in together with the rent).
- As the main tenant, you are responsible to the owner of the apartment (JYY, Soihtu) for the rent and other payments of the entire apartment, as well as maintaining the apartment during the subleasing.
- Both parties of the sublease agreement (the main tenant and the subtenant) should remember that the sublease agreement ends at the same time as the main tenant’s lease agreement (at latest).
Please note that if you rent your entire apartment, not just a part of it, to another person, legally it means temporarily assigning the apartment to someone else, not subleasing.
Tips for applying a student apartment
The summer is approaching and many future students will receive information about their new place of study and start the search for an apartment. During the summer months, Soihtu receives several hundred applications every month. Here are our tips...
The tenant survey has been renewed in May
Soihtu wants to constantly develop housing services, and for several years we have been monitoring the satisfaction of our tenants with extensive tenant surveys conducted twice a year. Starting in May, tenant satisfaction will be measured with...
The winner of the water saving competition is Soihtu Vehkakuja – congratulations!
Soihtu organized a water saving competition organized in the spring between all housing locations. The competition was running from 1st of January to 30th of April and the water consumption calculations has now been done. The competition has been...