If you want, you can sublease a part of your apartment for someone else to use. For example, if you live in a two-room apartment, you can rent the other room for someone else. The sublease agreement is done between the main tenant and the subtenant, and the landlord (JYY, Soihtu) is not involved.
Thus, subletting an apartment means that the main tenant and the subtenant live in the same apartment. The sublease may be for a fixed term or indefinitely.
If you are subleasing your apartment, please notify our customer service in writing. Fill in the form of subletting your apartment and make a written lease agreement with your subtenant. Submit both the sublease form and a copy of the sublease to our customer service before the subtenancy begins (no later than 7 days prior the start date). Without this information, we will not be able to for instance open the apartment’s door for them if they forget or lose their key.
- You must always notify the landlord of the subleasing so that the subtenant can for instance order the door to be opened if necessary.
- The sublease can be done for a fixed term or indefinitely.
- According to the law, you cannot have a subtenant in a studio apartment.
- You can charge the subtenant maximum the same amount of rent that you pay to the landlord.
- The subtenant will receive their own ID for the booking service from the sercive point of Soihtu Housing. He/she can book laundry turns or common areas for their own use. Subtenants cannot make any paid reservations (parking spaces, sauna turns). You can book a parking space and/or a sauna turn on behalf of your subtenant, if you so agree (this payment will be recorded in your rental information and you can instruct the subtenant to pay the fee(s) in together with the rent).
- Subtenants are not covered by the house insurance we offer, even if they are JYY members. (Only those tenants with JYY membership who have signed a lease agreement directly with JYY/Soihtu are covered by our house insurance.)
- As the main tenant, you are responsible to the owner of the apartment (JYY, Soihtu) for the rent and other payments of the entire apartment, as well as maintaining the apartment during the subleasing.
- Both parties of the sublease agreement (the main tenant and the subtenant) should remember that the sublease agreement ends at the same time as the main tenant’s lease agreement (at latest).
Please note that if you rent your entire apartment, not just a part of it, to another person, legally it means temporarily assigning the apartment to someone else, not subleasing.
In the housing locations of Soihtu, the tenants can influence housing and the development of community in many ways. At the tenants' meetings organized in November of last year, the committees for 2023 were chosen for each housing location and the...
The Housing Finance and Development Centre of Finland (ARA) has awarded its renowned Square Metres of the Year 2023 Award to the renovation and regional development project of the Kortepohja Student Village of the Student Union JYY.
Soihtu Housing tenants receive a newsletter about the current housing topics in Kortepohja Student Village, Soihtu Vehkakuja and Soihtu Korttelikylä every month. The newsletter is sent to the e-mail address found in our system and provided by the...