Temporarily assigning an apartment to someone else
You can temporarily assign your apartment to another person for a fixed period of up to 24 months, if you are staying in another city due to studies, work, illness or other similar reason. Sign a written agreement with the person you are assigning your apartment to. The agreement is between the two of you, and the landlord (JYY, Soihtu) is not involved. The agreement must always be for a fixed period.
Temporarily assigning an apartment to another person means that you are temporarily moving to another location, and another person will occupy your apartment.
Our customer service must be notified about assigning the apartment to someone else in a written format. Fill in the form of assigning the apartment to someone else and sign a written agreement with your tenant. Submit both the form and a copy of the agreement to our customer service before the tenancy begins (no later than one calendar month prior the start date). Without this information, we will not be able to for instance open the door for them if they forget or lose their key.
- Carefully choose whom you will assign your apartment to, as you are responsible for rent and other payments and the condition of the apartment to JYY (Soihtu) even when you have assigned your apartment to someone else.
- If you are assigning a room in a shared apartment to someone else, please provide us a written consent from your roommates.
- You can charge rent a maximum the same amount of the rent that you pay to the landlord.
- If you rent your apartment/room in a shared apartment as furnished, you can charge a reasonable furniture fee (approx. 20-30 € / month).
- The agreement must always be for a fixed period (max 24 months).
- Your tenant will receive their own ID for the booking service from the service point of Soihtu Housing. He/she can book laundry turns or common areas for their own use. He or she cannot make any paid reservations (parking spaces, sauna turns). You can book a parking space and/or a sauna turn on behalf of your tenant, if you so agree (this payment will be recorded in your rental information and you can instruct your tenant to pay the fee(s) in together with the rent).
- Always require your tenant to have a home insurance.
- Even though JYY (Soihtu) doesn’t, in general, collect deposits from tenants, JYY (Soihtu) recommends collecting a deposit from a temporary tenant
Please note that if you lease a part of your apartment to someone else, while you still live in the same apartment yourself, legally you are subleasing the apartment, not temporarily assigning the complete apartment to someone else’s use.
Choose the temporary tenant carefully
You are responsible for rent payments, other payments and the condition of the apartment to JYY (Soihtu) also when you have temporarily rented out your apartment to someone else.
There are always risks involved in temporarily renting out an apartment to someone else.
The risks include among other things:
UNPAID RENT PAYMENTS
- JYY (Soihtu) recommends collecting the rent payments to your own bank account first and then paying to us. That way you can easily follow that the payments are made.
- JYY (Soihtu) gives a notice/warning of recurring disturbance. You should always take these seriously.
FAILING TO TAKE GOOD CARE OF THE APARTMENT
- A tenant can intentionally or out of carelessness cause bad damages to the surfaces and furniture (or structures in a worst-case scenario) of the apartment. Possible repair costs can be considerable.
Additional worries can be avoided by choosing one’s tenant carefully. For instance, a recommendation can be asked from a previous landlord of a prospective tenant because a reliable tenant surely can easily get a recommendation.
Cultivation boxes available 28.3. onwards
The tenants in Kortepohja Student Village and Soihtu Vehkakuja are able to reserve their own cultivation box free of charge during summer months. There are a total of 20 cultivation boxes in the Student Village (in the courtyard of RS buildings) and...
Soihtu Rents closed 17.3.
Soihtu Rents is closed on Friday 17th of March 2023. We are available next time on Monday the 20th of March...
Tenants’ Info Letter of March
Soihtu Housing tenants receive a newsletter about the current housing topics every month. The newsletter is sent to the e-mail address found in our system and provided by the tenant. Sometimes the e-mail program interprets the info letter as...